Ebonyi governor, David Umahi has banned all forms of wake-keep beyond 10 pm in the state.

He said that in any case where such event must pass the stipulated time, the organisers must seek permission from the local government chairman, who would be held responsible if anything occurs.

The Governor, who announced the ban, also ordered the immediate arrest, prosecution and imprisonment of all those involved in a recent roadblock against his convoy.

The Governor’s convoy was reportedly blocked along Onicha Road in Onicha Local Government Area of the State while on his way back to the State capital from his Uburu, Ohaozara home on Friday night.

The roadblock was said to have been mounted by a group of people observing a wake-keep sequel to a burial ceremony in the area.

While receiving some guests at the State Executive Chambers in Abakaliki, the governor decried the development, saying it is a criminal breach of the law.

He alleged that the culprits made away with a gun belonging to an Army Officer and expressed worries over what they could have done if it had been an ordinary victim that encountered them.

He also detailed his security aides to ensure that all the culprits were identified and brought for prosecution and possible imprisonment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.