A trial that lasted almost 12 years reached a milestone on Thursday
when Justice Ishaq Bello of the FCT High Court, Abuja, sentenced two
police officers, Ezekiel Acheneje and Emmanuel Baba, to death ‎for
killing two of the six Igbo traders in Abuja on June 8, 2005.
The two policemen were found guilty of killing Augustina Arebu ‎and
Anthony Nwokike.
However, three other police officers, including a then deputy
commissioner of police — Danjuma Ibrahim, Nicholas Zakaria, and Sadiq
Salami — were set free, discharged and acquitted by the court for want
of evidence.
A sixth accused police officer, Othman Abdulsalam, has been at large
since the case started and had no legal representation.
Delivering judgement in a nine-count criminal charge brought by the
federal government against the police officers, Mr. Bello said the
court had no option than to convict the two men on account of their
own confessional statements that they shot the two traders based on
instruction from superior officers.
Mr. Bello said the action of the two police officers was callous and
barbaric because by law, they were supposed to preserve the lives of
innocent citizens.
The judge further said that their action was condemnable because there
was no evidence that the two traders did anything to constitute threat
to police at the time they were shot dead.
Justice Bello said that the killing of the two traders was
particularly painful because they were arrested by members of the
public    alive and handed over to the police only for the same
police, to take laws into their hands by summarily executing them.
The judge discountenanced the retraction of the confessional
statements during the trial by the two convicts.
He described the retraction as an afterthought, because the statements
by the convicted police officers were outright confessional.
The case centred on the alleged extra-judicial killing of five young
auto-spare parts dealers in Apo, a satellite town in Abuja, and a
young woman, by police officers on the night of June 7, 2005.
The victims, Ekene Isaac Mgbe, Ifeanyi Ozor, Chinedu Meniru, Paulinus
Ogbonna, Anthony Nwokike, and Augustina Arebu, were said to be
returning from a night club when they were stopped at a police
The police had claimed that the victims, aged between 21 and 25 years,
were members of an armed robbery gang that had opened fire on the
officers when accosted at the checkpoint.
But a judicial panel of inquiry set up by former President Olusegun
Obasanjo found the police account to be false and recommended the
trial of the six officers for extra-judicial killings.
The indicted officers are Danjuma Ibrahim, Othman Abdulsalami (now at
large), Nicholas Zakaria, Ezekiel Acheneje, Baba Emmanuel, and Sadiq
Salami. The defendants had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
But 12 years later, the trial continued to drag on in court.
The five officers accused of the killings and eight other police
witnesses eventually testified before the panel of inquiry that
Danjuma Ibrahim, the most senior of the accused officers, had
allegedly ordered the killings of the youth.
According to the report of the panel, the victims were at a nightclub
located at Gimbiya Street, Area 11, in Abuja that night of June 7,
2005 when they had a face-off with Mr. Ibrahim after the only female
among the victims, Augustina Arebu, allegedly turned down romantic
advances of the senior police officer.
Mr. Ibrahim had allegedly stormed out of the night club to a police
checkpoint at the end of the street and told the officers on duty that
he had sited a group of armed robbers in the area.
According to the panel’s report, which formed the bulk of the evidence
in court, when the six unwary young people later arrived at the
checkpoint in their car, Mr. Ibrahim allegedly had the car blocked and
ordered the officers to shoot at the occupants.
Four of the six died on the spot, but two of them, Mr. Nwokike and Ms.
Arebu, survived the initial onslaught.
They were later killed by the two convicted police officers in the
early hours of June 8 on the grounds that they attempted to escape.
The three other police officers involved, Danjuma Ibrahim, Nicholas
Zakaria and Sadiq Salami, who were charged with conspiracy and
culpable homicide, contrary to Section 97 and 221 of the penal code,
were discharged and acquitted by the court for want of evidence.
Justice Bello said from the totality of the evidence placed before the
court, the charge of conspiracy cannot be established against them
because of the inability of the prosecution to convince the court that
the men met and agreed to kill the six traders.
The judge said in the case of the Mr. Ibrahim, who was alleged to have
seized an AK 47 and shot the traders in their Peugeot 406 on that
fateful day, the allegation collapsed in the face of contradictions
from two prosecution witnesses that Mr. Ibrahim never seized a gun or
fired at the traders.
The judge added that if the fingerprint of the deputy police
commissioner had been taken, it could have been established whether he
handled the AK 47 used in killing the traders on the day of the
On the other four victims shot to death, the judge said the issue
remained ambiguous and vague because the prosecution was unable to
establish those responsible for their murder.
The judge said although a witness told the court that Mr. Ibrahim was
responsible for the shooting of the four traders, another witness said
it was a patrol team invited to the scene of the robbery incident that
fired at the vehicle of the traders ‎when they allegedly refused to
stop at a stop and search point mounted by the police to track down
the suspected robbers that had allegedly robbed Crown Guest Inn at
Gimbiya Street.
Justice Bello added that in the face of the contradiction, it was
particularly impossible to hold anyone responsible for the death of
the traders. More so when no name was mentioned of the members of the
patrol team invited to reinforce the ambush squad that was trailing
the suspected robbers.
Mr. Bello also said the six traders created suspicion when they
reversed at the checkpoint, inciting the police officers.
The judge said he was not in doubt that the occupants failed to stop
when asked to, and that the decision not to stop may have created